Thursday, November 1, 2012

Honey Mustard Chicken served with a side of Thankfulness

Okay so I am thus far staying true to giving you a recipe every day for the month of November! Woohoo! Go me! One day down....twenty-nine to go!

So I was really excited to try this recipe. One reason being, several years ago, when we lived in Pocatello, my Uncle Dan made this really delicious honey mustard chicken. Now me, not being anywhere close to quality of chefsmanship (yes, I made that up) that he is, knew that my chicken would not be nearly as good.

Anyways...I'm following my recipe...and I make this honey mustard sauce. I'm about to slather my chicken in it, and I stop and think to myself, "I should probably try this first, before I go ruining perfectly good chicken." Oh man. I am so glad I did. That sauce was possibly the worst thing I've made to date.

 No I take that back, I can think of two dishes that have been pretty awful. First was this greek skillet supper that I made, it had feta cheese, tomato sauce and cinnamon. Cinnamon. You heard right. Not only did it have unappetizing appearance of vomit, but it had the unfortunate luck to smell like it also. Numero dos. Last night's dinner was pretty bad. However I take no responsibility in it. The chicken, which I did make on my own, was delicious. The pasta sauce junk that came out of a can. Not so much. I decided to try one of those new, "Progresso" Recipe Starters, thinking that I couldn't go wrong. Well apparently I went way wrong. I mean I don't see how I could have screwed it up. I opened the can, emptied the contents into the pot. That's it. Nothing else had to be done. I used the roasted garlic alfredo. I think it could have been good. If I had used it for its intended purpose. But I mean come on. It's sauce. It should be good if you put it over pasta, or if you make a pot pie (like the can suggests). Well this "sauce", was crazy pungent. I like garlic. I mean I looooove garlic. It pretty much goes in and on everything I make. But this stuff had Edward Cullen running. It was so strong and just overpowering that I made the entire dish inedible. It didn't even taste bad. It just didn't taste good.

I digress. Just so you know what NOT to make, I have included a handy dandy picture and the recipe that is a culinary disaster.

So if your honey mustard sauce looks like this...just toss it.
Save your tastebuds.

1-3/4 lbs. boneless, skinless chicken thighs
3 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons stone ground mustard (with seeds)
1 teaspoon apple cider vinegar
1/2 cup sour cream
1 cup Panko Crispy Bread crumbs (Italian Style)


Preheat oven to 375 degrees. In a medium sized bowl, stir together honey, mustard, vinegar and sour cream. In a second large shallow bowl, add Panko bread crumbs.


Swirl your chicken breasts on both sides in the honey mustard mixture. Leave sit in the mixture for a couple of seconds. Dip in the breading mixture coating both sides well.


I'm not entirely sure what is wrong with this recipe, other than the fact that it tastes like garbage. So not knowing where to start, I googled several different recipes and they all said pretty much the same things. Equal parts honey and prepared mustard. Well...the only prepared mustard I have, is spicy brown. Which is yummy. So I used that. 

1/2 c honey
1/4 spicy brown mustard
1 tbsp ground mustard

Mix well, drown chicken in sauce. It should look something like this >>>>>>>

Now here's where I went wrong. I took from the original recipe, the idea of using the panko bread crumbs. I have never used these so called panko bread crumbs in my life. I followed the forbidden recipe, and just coated the chicken after I had thoroughly drenched it in honey mustard sauce. Threw it in the oven at 350 for 30 minutes.


This is pre-baking.









It came out kind of crispy. but only on the edges. the rest of it was just a soggy mess. So if you know how to bake with panko bread crumbs, go for it! I think you need to pan sear it or something first to get it nice and crispy and then bake it.

Anywho... mine came out looking like this...basically the same as before baked, just with a little more brown to it. Not bad. But not entirely appetizing. I scraped off the soggy bread crumbs and the chicken was actually pretty good. I got an approval from the husband, who so it was pretty frickin' good. Which is like 3 Michelin stars from him.






In another part of my November Menu Plan, for once I have included sides on my whole menu. Which doesn't happen very often. So tonight's side dish was some good ol' rustic garlic mashed potatoes. I would share a recipe, but I don't really have one. I always just wing it. I can try to tell you what I did....but it might not help.

So...you cut up some potaters. Oh you should probably warsh em' first. I didn't peel mine, because I used baby reds. Right right, so ya cut em up. Boil em in some salted water for about 20 minutes. Drain and return to pan.

Pour a bit o' milk in there, maybe a half cup. Add half a stick o' butter. Tonight I used about a dollop of Daisy. Yeah I said it! Now you have the Daisy jingle stuck in your head. Mwah ha ha ha ha. And season with some garlic, pepper, salt...etc. 

Oh don't forget the mashin' part. That's kind of the key part in mashed taters.

Well. That's all for this evening's dinner service. Hope you enjoyed this segment of Dinner Disasters.



Alright. So I have issued myself a new challenge. And I would love for any who wish, to join me. And that is for the month of November, to share a thankful moment, thought or anything. You know what I'm talking about. Post it on here as a comment. Write it in your journal. Share it on Facebook for the world to see. Just do it.

My goal along with sharing my dinner recipes for the whole month, is to share my thankful thought at the close of each post.

So tonight I am thankful for my beautiful family. For my daughter Amelia, who makes me smile and laugh all day every day. I only hope that I was as charming and adorable as a baby, and made my parents laugh and smile. I am so very thankful for my smoking hot husband, Michael. He is the best thing that has ever happened to me. I'm grateful that he reminds me of who I am, and why I'm here. I look forward to spending all of eternity with him. He's pretty cool :) And of course I am thankful for my parents and siblings. Who have helped me grow and learn through all of life. And helped me become the person that I am today. I love all of you so very much.

Good night all! Happy November!

1 comment:

  1. "Do a dollop, do do a dollop of Daisy." Thanks A LOT, Becca! ... P.S. Even Edward Cullen would be running? Genius.

    Keep 'em coming!

    ReplyDelete